Application deadline: 30 October 2017
Work to be completed in November
Vernissage & Party in early 2018
Do the words in the cloud mean anything to you? Our friends at Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke / Acion Aid would like us to find some talented artists to volunteer their time and create magic on three walls and two toilet doors at Café MellemRummet (which is also the reception for their hostel Globalhagen) using the themes in the cloud.
Café MellemRummet and Globalhagen Hostel are volunteer-driven. There are around 200 of us. Volunteers also designed and built the place which is located right in the heart of the vibrant and multicultural neighbourhood of Nørrebro.
Both the café and the hostel are non-profit and and the proceeds go to the NGO Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke / Action Aid and their efforts to promote equality and eradicate poverty in the world.
On the ground floor you will find our café where the volunteers host comedy nights, concerts, political debates and everything in between. On the next three floors is Globalhagen Hostel. Our breakfast is 100% organic and locally produced, and a vast majority of beverages etc. are organic and fairtrade. We have implemented aerators to have a lower carbon footprint. We use energy saving light bulbs. We have developed a waste management system.
Each room is unique and different and present some of those countries that Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke / Action Aid work in. All rooms are carefully designed and built with recycled material. Not two square meters are the same and in each room there are sounds, colors and designs from all over the World. Globalhagen is furnished with recycled materials and the rooms are named and inspired by countries such as Palestine, Myanmar, Zambia and El Salvador.
- Paint, materials and tools will be provided by Mellemfolkeligt Samvirke / Acion Aid
- All of the artwork should be completed at the same time (in June), and during the regular hours that the café is open.
- Artists should consider the goals and activities of MS, the clientele and function of Café Mellemrummet and Globalhagen Hostel in their planning
- Artists may apply as soloists or work together with others
- Artists may apply to work on one or all of the spaces:
1. The wall directly opposite the entrance (230 x 220cm)
2. The wall at the very far end of the café (205 x 345 cm)
3. The sidewall next to it that is opposite the window (205 x 205 cm)
4. The two unisex toilet doors (205 x 72 cm)
- The chosen artist(s) will be invited to exhibit their own work for one month in Café Mellemrummet
- The chosen artist(s) will be invited to stay and enjoy the atmosphere at the hostel while they complete the work, and they will receive free tea and coffee for the duration of their stay
- There will be a big vernissage/party arranged to celebrate the work very soon after completion
- The chosen artists will receive drink vouchers for the vernissage and a small gift
Application deadline: 5 June 2017
Work to be completed in June/July
Vernissage & Party in July/August